On the 25th and 26th January, DiskShred attended the 9th National Data Protection Conference. The event was ran by the Irish Computer Society in collaboration with the Association of Data Protection Officers. This is the largest data protection event in Ireland where the Data Protection community joins together in Dublin for a two-day programme. This year it included informative workshops and presentations from some of Europe’s top data protection professionals.
“A data protection regime isn’t just something nice to have…it is essential” Minister Dara Murphy
The first day was training workshops held at the Irish Computer Society’s Headquarters in Ballsbridge. The agenda included subjects such as “How to handle a data breach” presented by the Irish Computer Society and “Conducting a Data Protection Audit” presented by the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner.
On the second day the location changed to the Aviva Conference Centre for a “Listen to the Experts” presentation day. A line-up of notable speakers spoke on subjects such as Data Transfer, Cybersecurity, Data Protection codes of practice and Risk Management. The EU GDPR Data Protection Regulation was the ‘hot topic’ ahead of its impending enforcement on the 18th May 2018.
Key points from the day on Data Protection and the GDPR
- The EU GDPR will bring change, opportunities and challenges
- The importance to have a clear and consistent understanding of the new regulation
- How we all need a cultural change when it comes to data protection
- GDPR has so much ‘hype’ around it because it’s the first major reform regarding Data Protection that we have had in the past 20 years
- The clock is ticking. It is important to access the gap between what you do now and what you need to do before the GDPR comes into effect
Contact DiskShred today to further discuss our services and how we can help you comply with the GDPR regulation.